News ArticleTuesday, September 17, 2013
ENHANCEMENTS AND CHANGES TO THE ENY PREMIER LEAGUE FOR SPRING 2014
By Steve Padaetz, ENYPL Director
• Introduction of the Under-11 age group to the Premier League so the age groups are being expanded from Under-11 to Under-18.
• Introduction of a Fall Season kicking off in 2014. The Under-11 to Under-14 age groups will play from September to November while the Under-15 to Under-18 age groups play from late October to December, after the high school regular season has ended.
• A six-game schedule for each season. Teams will be placed in four-team brackets within an age group, withbalanced home and away play, followed by playoffs.
• Nominal team entry fees of $195.
Additionally, by offering a reduced six-game schedule with playoffs, team which participate in the ENYPL now can have an option of rejoining Division 1 of their own member league, making those leagues stronger in the process.
Playing home and away provides equity in travel which has always presented some challenges (and rancor) in the past. Now everybody in the group will be traveling the same amount.
1) Give ENY member league clubs, teams multiple play options with the ENYYSA/USYSA based platforms
2) Provide Increased Opportunity for Additional, Competitive Play; recent changes to both ENYPL & ENY State Cup give participating teams a Minimum of 9 Games with potential of now playing up to 14 matches in these complimentary competitions
3) Offer Premier level participation for teams either as Supplemental and/or Primary Play – ALL SC Qualifying
As one of the oldest premier soccer leagues in the United States, having begun play in 2000, the competitive nature of ENYPL remains strong. This was demonstrated last June when two of our age group champions won their respective State Open Cups.
These changes planned for 2014 will make our Premier League even stronger.